Student Wellbeing and Support
Dickson College takes a whole school approach to student and staff wellbeing. We place equal value on students' emotional and social development as well as academic achievement. We strive to foster a sense of belonging to our school community, to provide opportunities for giving and to teach resilience, gratitude, assertiveness and forgiveness.
DC Essentials - study and assignment tips, referencing and plagiarism and information about attendance, scores, appeals and more.
Student Wellbeing Executive
Our Executive Teacher is available for appointments to discuss wellbeing and academic issues, alternatives and post school options.
Student Wellbeing Assessment and Certification Executive
Our Executive Teacher of Assessment and Certification is available for appointments to discuss subject choices, ACT Senior Secondary Certificates and ATAR estimates.
The School Psychologist is available for appointments Monday to Thursday. Appointments can be made through Student Wellbeing.
Student Wellbeing Year Coordinators
Dickson College Student Wellbeing has 6 Year Coordinators who are available for appointment throughout the school week. Our advisors can help students with a range of issues including time management, extensions on assignments, referrals to external agencies, liaison with parents and referral to Study Skills classes.
Clubs and Community (Pastoral Care Groups - 1 hour each week)
Clubs and Community groups support students with information about college life, academic packages, careers, attendance, health and wellbeing. Clubs and Community groups aim to:
- Provide strong pastoral care by developing sustained relationships with teachers and students.
- Provide a learning environment where students can learn, and be encouraged to practice, different aspects of wellbeing.
- Work on student pathway planning and successful transition to and from college.
- Provide an opportunity for community service or "giving back".
- Build on and explore students' unique set of needs and capabilities through identifying personal strengths, interests and goals.
Study Skills classes run throughout the week for an hour. Teachers offer students assistance with time management skills and one-on-one help with their assignments.
Students can access further support with their studies and wellbeing in a small group environment. Referrals are made through Student Wellbeing.