Dickson College has approximately 50 International Private Students (IPS) mostly from Asia. This is in a population of around 850 students.
The College accepts students from the age of 16. Students have the opportunity to attend bridging courses for up to 40 weeks at the College and Students with limited English may undertake a preliminary course in English language at our College.
Secondary Introductory English Centre (SIEC) on campus - Younger students can do a full-time intensive English course at the SIEC, located on the Dickson College campus, and then come to study at Dickson College for Years 11 and 12.
Intensive English Language Learning
- Specialised English as a Second Language classes at Accredited and Tertiary level with qualified, experienced TESOL teachers - There are eight ESL classes operating each semester, six are Tertiary level and two at the Accredited level.
- Secondary Introductory English Centre (SIEC) on campus
- Bridging courses (up to 40 weeks available)
- BIEP - Bridging Intensive English Program for new students
- Homework tutorials led by their ESL teachers - tutorials are offered to help students with drafting and editing their homework and assessments.
At Dickson College students can do a wide range of courses, for example, Mathematics at 3 different levels, English as a Second Language, Business Studies, Information Technology and Music, over 2 years, towards a Year 12 Certificate. Students can also gain university entry, if required.
International students at Dickson College can study for a Year 12 Certificate and university entry. IPS coordinators help with preparation and training for the AST exam.
Homestay accommodation is available with selected families in areas close to the school.
Homestay accommodation with an Australian family costs approximately $260 per week. If you have friends or relatives in Canberra you may organise your own homestay accommodation.
The ACT Year 12 Certificate
The ACT Year 12 Certificate is a 2 year (4 semesters) study package, including 3 or 4 majors (subjects studied for 2 years) and 2 or 3 minors (subjects studied for one year).International students study 5 or 6 subjects of their own choice, each semester, including English as a Second Language.
International students can choose from the wide range of subjects available to all Dickson College students, including Mathematics at three levels, Science subjects such as Physics and Chemistry, Information Technology, Business Studies, languages, including French, Chinese, Latin and Japanese, Sports Studies, Music, Art, Photography and Technical Drawing.
Advantages of gaining Year 12 Certificate at Dickson College for International Students
- No English language entry test to university (that is, no IELTS or TOEFL test).
- Improve your English to a level enabling you to succeed at university. Several courses are offered, depending on your needs.
- Become familiar with the Australian education system, which you will find is different from your own in many ways.
- Adjust to the Australian culture and way of life
- Make Australian friends
- Study with experienced and helpful teachers who will assist you to be successful.
For more information on international education at Dickson College, contact:
Coordinator, International Program
Dickson, ACT, 2602
How to apply
All applications for International Education at Dickson College are organised by the ACT Education and Training Directorate.
Fax: +61 2 6205 9178
International Education Unit
ACT Education Directorate
GPO Box 158
Canberra City 2601
Website: ACT Education Directorate - International Students (www.det.act.gov.au/school_education/international_students)
Nominate Dickson College as your preferred school in part 2 of the application form.
For students from the People's Republic of China - the Education Directorate will give you contact details of educational agents in China who will be able to assist you with your visa application and other requirements. Please contact the ACT Education and Training International Education Unit for any further details.
CRICOS Registration number 00643J