Vocational Education and Training (VET) and School Based Apprenticeships (ASBAs)
Dickson College is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) and participates in the Australian School Based Apprenticeships program.
Vocational Education and Training
We offer Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses from a variety of industry endorsed training packages. Students can complete nationally recognised qualifications whilst completing their ACT Year 12 Certificate.
Students enrolled in VET courses are given the opportunity to gain valuable industry experience through Structured Workplace Learning (SWL). Students who can demonstrate competence to industry standard in a workplace context and in the workplace during SWL are eligible receive a qualification or Statement of Attainment in the following qualifications:
- Certificate II Applied Fashion Design and Technology (LMT21707)
- Certificate I Automotive Vocational Preparation (AUR10112)
- Certificate II in Community Services (CHC20112)
- Certificate I Construction (CPC10111) & II & Construction Pathways (CPC20211
- Certificate I & II Hospitality (SIT10213 & SIT20213)
- Certificate I & II Information Technology (ICA10111 & ICA20111)
- Certificate II Live Production, Theatre & Events (CUS20213)
- Certificate II Music (CUS20109)
- Certificate I Workplace Skills (69796)
Other vocational opportunities are available through partnering arrangements with external RTOs throughout the year. These include:
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- The Academy of Interactive Entertainment
- Masters Builders Association
- Regional Group Training
Australian School-based Apprenticeships (ASBAs)
Australian School-based Apprenticeships (ASBAs) offer students, 15 years of age or over, the opportunity to achieve a nationally recognised vocational qualification by combining paid work and training as part of their educational program at college.
Students train for a minimum of 8 hours in the workplace and a minimum of 3 hours off the job training weekly for a Certificate II qualification and a minimum of 15 hours a week for a Certificate III qualification.
On completion of an ASBA, students receive a nationally recognised vocational qualification and an ACT Year 12 Certificate.
ASBAs are available in a wide variety of industries including: Building & Construction, Hairdressing, Community Services (Aged Care & Child Care), Business, Information Technology, Plumbing, Electro Technology and Hospitality.
If you are interested in exploring an ASBA, please complete an Expression of Interest form when you enrol in classes later this year so that you can be placed on our register to receive information on available positions.
If you are already undertaking an ASBA, please let us know at the time that you enrol.
If you are an employer looking to employ a student under an ASBA arrangement, please contact the school to discuss options.
For more information contact Erica Brown, Vocational Learning Officer.